December 17, 2010

Refreshed...Finally!

I've said it before...I love sleep. It was definitely one of the best things about being unemployed and is one of the worst things about babysitting Brandon because I had to be there by 8:00am. I've never had a job where I've had to be there at 8:00, I have had to work really late hours but never started before 9:00. (Is this where I mention that teaching jobs start in the wee hours of the morning...) As I wrote yesterday, I've been sick all week, and though I was sleeping well at night I was just dragging during the day. Last night I went to bed what I think was hours before Jason, but thats typical. (he goes to sleep at 12:00 or 1:00 on some nights!) This morning I woke up at my normal time of 6:30ish but being that I don't work on Fridays, I tried to go back to sleep. And sleep I DID! I didn't wake up until 10:12. My first thought was guilt. It's interesting that we see repeatedly in magazines and health articles that we need more sleep. And when we're sick, everyone says, "go home, get your rest, go to bed early," but no one ever says, "sleep in late." There's so much pressure put on us by society to constantly be on the move, to jam pack our schedules, to do it all which means the more we do, the less sleep we get. Even when I woke up and realized how late I slept, I texted Jason that it was Sam who convinced me to stay in bed and that it was his fault. (yes, I texted him, when we was only about 30 feet away from me working from his office at home, and yes, I blamed it on my cat.) I felt like such a bum for sleeping in. Well you know what? I feel like a million dollars today! I can finally breath through my nose, I'm not coughing up my lung, and I finally feel better! I constantly hear from friends (and see on facebook) how ever since they had kids, they never get to sleep past 6:00 and even that is late and ahhhh what they wouldn't give for sleep and all this other stuff about being parents. Well yes, good...that's exactly why I don't have kids right now! Honestly, that's probably the biggest reason, I can't imagine how it'll be having to get up every 3 or less hours the first few months, then not getting a full nights rest until they're married (and will I even sleep soundly by then?) My days are limited before I have real responsibility of a full time job or a new puppy...or a BABY in the house. So yes, today I slept in, really late and it felt good. Np, not just good, it felt really good and I am not going to feel guilty about it because 99.9% of the population my age has kids and responsibilities they have to get up for. I feel like I could conquer the world right now!! Maybe I'll even hit up the gym for the first time in 3 months, or maybe I'll just save it for another day and take a mid-afternoon nap.

**Yes, I feel like I have to add a disclosure to this since I know some people read this who may be freaking out...Yes, I want kids, actually I want a LOT of kids (and I pray so very hard that I am blessed with easily getting pregnant and carrying them full term without any challenges or hardships which I know so easily can come our way) And yes, I want a real job...that's more than half my sadness these days (maybe I'll blog about that some day?) But since I don't have either one of those right now, I'm relishing in what I do have and appreciating every second of it so that when I do have those things I know I've appreciated the time and life I am living right now...and will never look back and won't some day wake up at 3:00am in the middle on the night nursing my precious baby and wonder why I didn't take advantage of sleep when I could. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment