July 26, 2011

Goodbye Q101

A couple weeks ago, I was listening to Q101 as I sometimes do during the day because I love Electra, the afternoon host. As I was listening, I quickly learned that that was the last day Q101 would be airing and basically everyone who worked there had received notice that previous Monday that they were being let go and the station was coming to an end. On this particular Thursday when I was listening, they were hosting a sort of tribute to the radio station having all the past DJ's calling in and reminesing about the past 19 years it's been on the radio. I was shocked at how emotional I got, I didn't realize how attached I could become to a radio station.

As it is in 2011, I have to say I don't really listen to that station anymore. But as for my teenage years Q101 was a HUGE part of my life. That radio station became sort of like a lifestyle for me.

I remember the first week Q101 was on the radio, it was the radio station we listened to at the barn. Most barns/farms listen to country radio but at ours it was always Q101 -- The "New" Rock Alternative. Those years of music helped to shape who I was as a teenager (I know thats making my mom cringe as she reads this). But I lived for going to concerts as often as possible. I went to the first Twisted Christimas at UIC Pavilion with Bad Religion, Killing Joke, Dinosaur Jr., Veruca Salt, Weezer, and Hole in its line-up. (I'll never forget my friend's mom dropping us off there and feeling so cool being in Chicago all alone!) Nine Inch Nails, Beastie Boys and Smashing Pumpkins concerts were all at the then Rosemont Horizon. One of those shows I remember driving to as a 16 year old in my first real snow storm as a driver. Several Veruca Salt concerts with Jolene when her mom made us take Irving Park all the way to The Aragon Ballroom. I went to a few Jambouree's out at the then World Music Theater including it's first one with it's line-up consiting of Bush, Collective Soul, Sheryl Crow, Duran Duran, Faith No More, The Flaming Lips, KMFDM, The Lupins, Phunk Junkeez, Sponge, Stone Roses. Bush and Alanis Morisette separately at the then World Music Theater. Many of those bands from Jamboree and Twisted Christmas I went to see individually at whatever venue they were playing at the time. Somewhere my mom has all the ticket stubs saved from all the shows...I wish I had them here to take a picture!

I remember the night before the Smashing Pumpkins "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" came out Q101 played the album in its entirety on the radio one night as I sat in the corner of my bedroom listening to it on my radio which sat on the floor. It was also on Q101 that I heard when Kurt Cobain died...I remember exactly where I was driving when I heard that. All these memories feel like just yesterday!

When I heard that Q101 was ending, I truly felt like a part of my teenage years was ending. I guess technically, my teenage years ended years ago when I calculate my age, but it just doesn't seem like that long ago. Thanks Q101 for being such a huge part of my teenage years and helping me get through what I thought were some of the hardest years of my life. Oh to be a teenager again.

No comments:

Post a Comment