January 27, 2010

Free Stuff + Recycling = Freecycle

Did you catch the title of this post?! What a great equation, right? I am huge into recycling. It's not convenient for me where I live because recycling is not made available. (which is a whole other topic of concern, that residents must pay to recycle...what is wrong with this picture!?) I, however, recycle everything that I possibly can. If I had a garbage disposal, I'd probably say that 90% of my garbage is recycled. (and no, I am not into the whole compost thing...that's just gross.) So I bring my huge bags of recycling down to the city and drop off here. I also take my recycling to my parent's house when I am in the burbs for long lengths of time.

It will come as no surprise then that when I came across a fellow blogging friends status on facebook about getting free stuff from freecycle, I immediately began googling it. Let me share with you what I found and welcome you to the world of Freecycle:

Welcome! The Freecycle Network™ is made up of 4,880 groups with 6,936,000 members across the globe. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Each local group is moderated by a local volunteer (them's good people). Membership is free. To sign up, find your community by entering it into the search box above or by clicking on “Browse Groups” above the search box. Have fun!

Okay so hopefully if the importance of recycling making you jump, then maybe free stuff entices you? Not to mention the shape that our economy is in, I'm sure you can value from the old saying, "Someone else's trash is someone else's treasure." My friends, treasures galore can be found on this site!!

I had my first chance of being a freecyler last Sunday. I responded to a post about some old bridal magazines and books. I set up a time and location to pick up the books and met with fellow freecycler, Daniele around 2:00 in the Lincoln Park neighborhood. Not only did I receive some old books and magazines, but she was also planning a wedding AND is a wedding coordinator and told me her best tips about planning a wedding on a small budget. She even told me she'll keep my email address handy for any other magazines or tips she comes across in the next few months. (*sidenote...yes, I brought Jason with me in case Danielle ended up being Danny, the creepy stalker or mass murderer. And yes, I thought it was a tad weird to be sharing bridal tips with a complete stranger, but it was nice to meet other nice people out there in an otherwise pretty self-centered city.)

Once I got home and reviewed the materials, I realized when she said "old books," she really meant "OLD...as in early 90's." But as much as the styles have changed since then, the books still had some great tips of how to budget for a wedding. And one of the magazines she gave me was from the UK and though that wasn't much help in finding local deals it was helpful with honeymoon ideas Jason and I wouldn't have normally thought of.

Take a minute to click on the link above and register yourself for freecycle. You never know what you may find...or what in your house you may not want that is certainly someone else's treasure!

2 comments:

  1. i am sorry i never responded to your question about freecycling. i started typing up my answer, got distracted and forgot to finish. glad your first foray was successful. let me know if you have any other questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. freecycle is awesome!! i used to do it all the time when we lived in Chicago! glad u are hooked too :) and good luck on planning your wedding!

    ReplyDelete