January 1, 2012

Happy 2012!

Every year I like to post my year in review and reflect on how I've done in my "positive changes" (as I like to call them rather than resolutions) while also making some new positive changes for the new year. This year I will continue with this but also add a Bible verse which will hopefully guide me through the new year.

Last year was the first of Jason and I being married for a full year.  Marriage is a lot of work and I learn that more every day but I've also learned as we've grown together how amazing, wonderful and rewarding it truly can be.  It's amazing what comes of something that God has designed and I am so grateful that He brought us together.

We also brought our first puppy into our lives as a married couple (and for me it's my first dog ever).  From the million posts I've shared it's not secret how much joy Cooper has brought to both of our lives.  I really had no idea just how much happiness a dog could bring to us...I can only image how a child of our own will make me feel!

We made a huge decision to move our family to Colorado so put our condo on the market and made a temporary move to the north side of Chicago and I also finished up my last quarter of grad school.  It's really been quite the year.

I've tried to reflect back and capture the highlights. There were plenty of good times spent with family and friends including many breakfast, lunch, dinner and coffee dates.  I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty but for now this is what comes to mind.

January
  • Drove to Wisconsin and picked out our little Cooper
February
  • Passed the LBS 1 test
  • Another trip to Wisconsin and brought Cooper home!
  • Turned 32 years old
  • Began leading our small group
March
  • Saw Chris Tomlin at Willow Creek
  • Mark and Judy visited Chicago over St. Patrick's Day

April
  • Cubs season began - Went to about 1-2 games a month...they did not win the World Series this year as I'd hoped...
  • Participated in the 5 Day Food Challenge at church
May
  • Went to CO and made the final decision that we're moving there once our condo sells
  • My goddaughter, Katie, visited Chicago for a sleepover

June
  • My first outing with Kaylee to Cosley Park
  • Brooke brought me to the Cubs/Sox game and I got to sit in first row behind home plate

July
  • Trip to Sioux City for 4th of July - Coopers first long road trip
  • Started my summer babysitting job
  • Staged our condo (what I consider move # 1)
  • DMB Caravan

August
  • Rode the Critical Mass all around Chicago
  • Lollapolooza (Phil and Laura visited)
  • Kaylee turned one 
  • Fun at the lakehouse
  • Put the condo on the market
  • Sioux City again (wedding season began)
September
  • Went to see a movie all by myself  
  • Celebrated our first anniversary
  • Ran Race for the Cure 5K
  • 3 weddings - All beautiful

October
  • Started Bible Study in S. Barrington that was transforming
  • Trip to WI to hike
  • Ran the Bucktown 5K
  • Kaylee sleepover in Chicago
  • Found out we’re going to be an aunt/uncle again!
  • Jason and my first experience watching a polo tournament

November
  • Accepted an offer on our condo  :)
  • Found out we’re moving to north side of Chicago until March
  • Our Honeymoon to Cabo San Lucas
    • zip lining
    • ATV'ing
  • Ran the Hot Chocolate 5K
  • New windshield – Totally felt God’s protection over me

December
  • Hosted Jason’s cousin and friends in Chicago where he proposed to his now fiance
  • Moved to north side of Chicago
  • Found out student teaching placement
  • Willow Creek Christmas Service with my parents
  • Christmas in Iowa with Jason's family
Last year I decided not to share my personal changes publicly so can't share my progress but this year I am keeping it simple. Positive Changes for 2012...
  • I'd like to plan ahead with meal planning so I can grocery shop by Sunday night
  • I am trying to stick to the devotions I was given as a gift from Jason's aunt
  • Jason and I want to stick with a couples devotion we started today
  • Ummmm...less wine, more working out and losing weight - it's my standard positive change that never seems to stick.  Maybe this is the year?!


2012 has some really big changes for us as we plan to move to Colorado.  I'd like this years verse to really sink in and carry me through the big changes as I know it's going to be really hard but hopefully bring us both joy.  My verse of 2012:

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified...for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you or forsake you. Deuteronomy 31:6







1 comment:

  1. I love these posts of yours Steph!! You must take notes throughout the year and it pays off to see it all in print at the end of the year!

    Your bible verse is perfect!

    ReplyDelete