February 5, 2012

Student Teaching Beginning Week 5 of 10

I cannot believe I've been student teaching for 4 weeks already and am about to begin week number 5.  It's been a pretty amazing month thus far.  I was originally in a primary self-contained classroom with eight students, seven with autism and one with downs syndrome.  It was my ideal placement minus the grade level since I really want to work with middle or high school. After about 2 minutes in the classroom I fell in love with each student and realized that teaching kids with special needs is definitely my calling.  I'm so excited to teach special ed! Plus, now after spending 4 weeks in the primary classroom I am definitely more open and excited about the opportunity to work with elementary aged kids. :)

On Thursday I was switched into a different classroom, now I'm with 6th, 7th and 8th grade in a cross-categorical room., so it's a completely different experience!  I feel like I'm at a bit of a loss with only 6 weeks left and 4 of those weeks supposed to be me teaching the class on my own...plus the papers I have to write for my seminar but I am thankful for the switch.  Very thankful...I can go into more details once this experience is done and I have landed my first teaching job but for now I'll leave it at that.  What I just blogged about and how tired I have been...with this new switch, I'm hopeful that I won't be nearly as emotionally drained at the end of each day.  I'm very excited for the next 6 weeks to see how much more I can learn through this experience! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment