November 1, 2009

I love my small group!

I've been in 3 different small groups (fancy word for a group of 10-15 people who meet regularly to study a book of the Bible or certain topic led by one or two trained individuals.) It was joining a small group which helped me to grow in my relationship with Christ. Therefore, I am a firm believer in belonging to one for accountability reasons and I especially love what I gain from the community aspect since I am the extrovert that I am.

My first group was through Park Community and was a group of girls all in very different places in our spiritual journey but I met one of my closest friends, Virginia, in that group. Then I joined another group which didn't have a leader and was a bit over my head, but my third group was an amazing group of girls all on very different paths in many ways but I grew so much for this group as well.

Back in May or June, Meredith and I wanted to join a group together so we registered for what we thought was a women's group. Turns out it was co-ed but still wanted to be in a group for the summer so we moved forward. Being that it was co-ed, I asked Jason if he wanted to join us and he registered as well. Over the summer we studied the book of Acts with a focus on community. We had a social outing every other week which was a great way to get to know everyone. We went bowling, had a picnic in the park, happy hour at Sushi Samba (yum!) and a few other outings. It is an extremely non-threatening environment and a wonderful group of women and men who help each of us in our walk with God and act as a support system in whatever we may need. Jason and I are in our second semester with the group, this time studying Tim Keller's "The Prodigal Son" which isn't holding my attention as much as it is is for others but value the fellowship and friendship I've gained from these individuals.

*The picture above is from last Sunday night. We served together at Joshua Center which is a women's shelter on the west side. We prepared lasagna and spaghetti served with salad and bread. Amazing group. Amazing time. I am so thankful for each other these individuals! Love you guys!!

*not pictured: Christy, Jason and Ismael. The woman in pink is the women's shelters staff and my friend, Michelle, in red joined us that evening as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment