May 3, 2011

Book Club

I am the slowest reader. Slowest. I just finished reading, The Help by Kathryn Stockett but it took me 3 months. I love getting all wrapped up in a story and not being able to put it down, but am very easily distracted and have a really hard time focusing. Being easily distracted and having a hard time focusing leads me to lose my place a lot, which leads me to get bored with the book which leads me to put the book down, which leads me to not want to start the whole cycle over again. But I LOVE reading stories and wish I could be engrossed with every one I read. The Help was super long, not because it was a hard read but because it was a lot of pages. And a lot of pages to me means it'll be a super long time before I ever finish it. But finish I did, and I loved every second of it and would highly recommend it to all your women out there.

Since I really struggle with reading but love the stories behind all the words, I was thrilled to hear about an online book club called She Reads. She Reads is basically an online book club with a timeline and discussion questions. I've known about this website for a couple years now through the devotional I get everyday through Proverbs31.org. I actually read one of the books they recommended while in Mexico for our wedding, Scarred by Tom Davis and couldn't put it down. I'm really excited to join and be a part of She Reads so I'll have a timeline and group of people to hopefully help hold me accountable and help me get through this book in a timely manner. I make it sound like a chore when I say it that way, but in reality I'm really excited to have a little extra encouragement.

I went to the library tonight and got my copy of Words by Ginny L. Yttrup and it is my hope that by the end of May I will be able to proudly report back that I have completed it with a little help from my new online "friends." Wish me luck!

BTW...Through researching the link to The Help, I discovered that it's already been made into a movie and will be out in August. How fun!

1 comment:

  1. I also loved The Help. I can't wait to see the movie! I saw a preview for it the other day and it looks like it's going to be really good. Good luck with your book club - sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete